- 3 tablespoons light olive oil or vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon black mustard seed
- ¼ teaspoon asafoetida powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 5 green Thai chili peppers or serrano peppers, slit lengthwise
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 small head of cabbage, chopped into 1-inch squares
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped to 1-inch squares
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 tablespoons grated coconut*
- Salt, to taste
*Arunaa recommends the Daily Delight brand of fresh-frozen grated coconut, which you can find at Indian grocery stores. She likes the consistent texture and the fact that it has no added sugar. Keep it frozen until an hour before you plan to use; then move it to the refrigerator to thaw.
Heat oil in wok. Add cumin, mustard, asafoetida, and turmeric powder. When the mustard splutters, add green chili peppers and curry leaves. After 1 minute, add bell pepper and sauté until the pepper is soft. Add cabbage and salt, to taste; cook until cabbage is soft (but not mushy). Remove from heat. Stir in coconut and cilantro just before serving.