- 12 ounces tempeh
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 ½ teaspoons sage, minced
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 teaspoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup cannellini beans, drained and rinse
- 1 ½ cups cooked short grain brown rice
- 1 tablespoon refined sesame oil
To steam the tempeh, bring a few inches of water to a boil. Place the tempeh in a steamer basket; cover and steam for 15 minutes. Chill.
Using a food processor’s s-blade, chunk the tempeh into a coarse meal. Add garlic, all seasonings, tamari, and tomato paste. Pulse to mix well, then add cannellini beans and brown rice. Continue to pulse until mixture pulls together into a moist ball.
Form patties into quarter-cup balls and flatten with hands. Heat sesame oil over medium-low heat in a cast iron skillet and place patties gently in the pan. Cook 6 minutes per side, flipping only once. Drain on paper towels.